Email address: lauren.fullmer@myldsmail.net

Saturday, July 16, 2016

June 26, 2016 - Carrots and top gun

Hello family!

2 broken things this week my bike and my back.. Don't worry mom I'm okay.

We were really trying to find new investigators through less actives
and their families, this week so we visited them like crazy. Unlucky
for us a lot of them moved, the address is wrong, or they wouldn't
talk to us. However, we went and found this woman naked hinosan. We
knocked on this door and a cute 70+ lady answered the door, and said
"hello, how are you? Missionaries right? Come on in." At this point we
were thinking, okay yes she's going to get baptized! We sat down and
she looked at us and said "I'm not changing religions." That put a
damper on things and she told us that she is too old and she doesn't
really care all that much, but she really likes foreigners. Dangit. As
we were sitting down she touched my face saying "you are so pretty, ah
your teeth and nose! So pretty!" She trailed off and talked about her
desire to visit America one day. We brought her attention back to
church, turns out she used to take her kids to church and she even
remembered some of the songs. We sang I am a child of God to her, and
she softened up a little bit however she was stubborn in the fact that
she wasn't going to change. At the end of the all over the place
lesson she looked at us and said "will you eat carrots? Do you like
carrots?" And hopped up and went to her kitchen and came back with a
bag full of carrots she had picked from her garden that morning. We
tried to refuse ,but she insisted ,so we graciously took them. After
that we were headed up towards another less active when I heard a
cracking sound my  gears on my bike broke! I pulled over and attempted
to fix it ,but it didn't happen, so we walked 30 minutes to the
closest bike shop were they told me that they couldn't fix it....ahh.

We had a companion exchange this week, so we had to go catch an early
train and we live about 30 minutes away by bike.. We didn't have bikes
so we had to walk, we woke up at about 5:30 and walked/ quickly walked
to the train station. We got to the sisters apartment at about 12:45
exhausted and wet because it was pouring rain. I slept during lunch
and I was so tired I had a hard time eating. My comp was also still
pretty sick so.. Ya. After lunch I went with uchida and we went and
visited an investigator who is going to get baptized in two weeks
except for she has a smoking problem. I came up with this idea that we
could write scriptures on all her cigarettes ,so if she wants to smoke
she first has to read the scripture before she can smoke. Her eyes
were wide open when we explained the idea and she laughed and said
okay I'll try!

I never thought that seeing the movie "Top Gun" would help me as a
missionary ,but we were just talking to her about some other things
and she said it was her favorite movie and uchida shimai said she
never heard of it and I was like "I love that movie." And we had a
good talk about it. Uchida later told me it was really fun to watch me
talk and she had no idea what we were talking about ,but it looked
fun.

My feet are really tired and so is my body, I woke up with sharp pain
in my back and got my comp to give me a massage ,but I think my back
is just in knots! I was some what limping as I was walking because my
ached pretty bad. On Saturday night we saw the elders at game night
and I sat out because my back just hurt too bad, I held my back as I
walked and one of the elders mimicked me and told me it's because I'm
an old obachan(grandma) my back is bad. -_-

We were behind on lessons yesterday so we taught people like crazy! We
found one lady named Yamamorisan. She was walking her dog and and comp
felt prompted to stop her so we did, she has a bible and we talked
about God with her and she told us she wants to learn its just she
doesn't know when she has time because her husband is in the hospital,
we don't know where she lives ,but we have some kind of idea, so we
are going to go find her house this week!

This week we taught Sunday school. The subject was sacrifice.

[A rich young ruler asked the Savior, “What shall I do to inherit
eternal life?” Jesus answered, “Thou knowest the commandments, Do not
commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness,
Honour thy father and thy mother.” And the rich man said, “All these
have I kept from my youth.” When Jesus heard this, He said, “Yet
lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto
the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow
me.” When the young man heard this, he was sorrowful. He was very rich
and had his heart set on his riches. (See Luke 18:18–23; see also the
picture in this chapter.)
The young ruler was a good man. But when he was put to the test, he
was not willing to sacrifice his worldly possessions. On the other
hand, the Lord’s disciples Peter and Andrew were willing to sacrifice
everything for the sake of the kingdom of God. When Jesus said unto
them, “Follow me, … they straightway left their nets, and followed
him” (Matthew 4:19–20).]

I feel like in this life we have the greatest test of following the
savior or not. It's like the church it's either true or not. We either
follow Jesus Christ or we don't. If we follow Christ there will be no
gray spots or things that are mostly good except for one bad part. The
young man in the story did everything ,but he went through the motions
,in is heart he was still holding on to something. He had not set his
heart on the kingdom of God, thus he wasn't willing to sacrifice what
he had. But Peter and Andrew when asked "straightway" left their nets.
Immediately they gave up what they had and followed Christ. I wonder
if I have that kind of faith. To just give up everything and follow
Christ. Do we follow Christ? Or are we lacking something? Are we
holding on to something? An addiction? A sin? Bad habit? Even a little
thing that pokes at our spirit? If so, let's change. Let's Let go of
what it is so that we can give everything and follow Christ.

Bike problems





No comments:

Post a Comment