Email address: lauren.fullmer@myldsmail.net

Thursday, May 26, 2016

May 2, 2016 - Jasmine :)



Hello all,
This week has been a good one, so last week, our investigator Jasmine
had a baptismal date, so yesterday she was baptized. She's the cutest
most mature spiritual 15 year old that I have ever met. So this week
we finished up teaching her the lessons and yesterday she came to
church and she was baptized!

The first time I met her, we went out with her mom and her for lunch.
Her moms name is Roslyn and she was baptized 4 weeks ago ,so after
that her daughter Jasmine said to the missionaries "I want to be
baptized" and so we had been working with her since then. Jasmine is
so amazing! She is half Japanese half Philipino, she speaks Japanese,
Tagalog,and English. She's fluent in all of them too. I asked her what
her favorite word was in English and she said "faith, because I always
want to be faithful to God". I was so touched by that.. It stuck with
me for a couple of days. It was such a simple answer and yet it was so
profound. I was studying one morning and came across a scripture that
was like a lightning bolt to my heart. As I read it, I just thought of
Jasmine.

We went and met her on a rainy day for her last meeting before her
baptism, and when we showed up, she looked at me and said "do you know
Bobby Marley?" "Ya, why? Do I look like him?" I said pointing to my
frizzy messy hair. "Ya...."then she burst out laughing so hard. We
laughed too. So on rainy days I look like bob Marley! Yay.
I shared the scripture with her her during her last meeting before and
she highlighted the word faithful.

Saturday night we saw her again for an activity with the ward.
Basketball. So like I said I'm in Brazil ,Brazilians are killer soccer
players. My team was me and elder Madruga(Brazilian elder), brother
Sidney (Brazilian), and Crystal (Brazilian). When we made the team,
they said "ya go Brazil!" Before the game started elder Madruga and
Sidney were playing with the basketball like a soccer ball, attempting
to shoot a basket. And they got it a couple of times. It was pretty
cool actually. Anyways we played the other team and they killed us,
but it was so fun to play. Sidney is the funniest guy ever! When elder
Griffitts guarded him, he picked up his dribble and seemed like he
wasn't going to go any where, but instead of giving up he bounced it
through Griffitts legs, to someone on our team, and he laughed and
said "I beat the big boy! I won!" He did it twice during the game and
at the end of the night said "I won two times tonight!" After the
basketball game we headed to the church and set up the font for Sunday
with the elders and a random Brazilian English class student. His name
is Sato and he looks Japanese, nope, full blooded Brazilian, anyways,
after actives are over he doesn't leave, he usually hangs around until
we leave, well he came to the church and helped us set up the font.
And we all invited him to come to the baptism on Sunday.

Sunday morning: most of you know I am not a morning person, goodness I
know it was through Gods help that I was able to get up at 5:30 am and
go with my companion to the church. We had to fill the font for the
baptism. We only had one hose. And it took about 3 hours to fill it
up. We had to restart the warm water every hour that's why we were
there so early. While the water was running. We slept on the floor. I
cannot tell you how stressful it was, but it was all worth it, to see
her baptized. During the service, her mother shared what her
daughter's favorite scripture was, Alma 38:2 the scripture that I
shared with her. The spirit touched my heart and I couldn't help but
tear up a bit.
She was baptized and it was so great! She kept saying "my special
day.. Not my birthday, but more important than my birthday.." I love
her so much!

Alma 38:2
2 And now, my son, I trust that I shall have great joy in you, because
of your steadiness and your faithfulness unto God; for as you have
commenced in your youth to look to the Lord your God, even so I hope
that you will continue in keeping his commandments; for blessed is he
that endureth to the end.

Thus scripture is the definition of Jasmine. Steadfast faith in God
and Jesus Christ and a heart just full of love.





The font after the baptism

No comments:

Post a Comment