Email address: lauren.fullmer@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

April 25, 2016 - Oi! I'm in Brazil!

Gaw-eh (what's up... Portuguese slang)
 I'm in Brazil.
When I got my call to Japan I never thought I would cross path with
Brazilian culture. It's the exact opposite and clear on the other side
of the world. Well, I was dead wrong. I get to learn Portuguese now!
Well I don't have to ,but I'm picking some up. "Obrigada" means thank
you. :)

I'm in Izumo.Its clear on the other side of the mission. Very western
part of the mission,  but to be honest it's like a mini Brazil. When I
got here, we walked back from the train station to the apartment and I
said "konichiwa" to some guy walking by and my comp nudged me and said
"he's Brazilian." :0 i can't even tell the difference between Japanese
and Brazilians. So at our church we have the Japanese people's and the
Portuguese speakers. The signs in the church are in Japanese and
Portuguese. What? So there is a company in this area that hires
Brazilians because it's cheaper ,so a ton of Brazilians live here.
That's a little intimidating. I've been learning Japanese for a long
time now, but Portuguese? Doesn't sound anything like it.

Ah brings me to my new companion. She was trained but my Gibson
shimai (my comp 5 transfers ago). Her name is Miyazawa shimai. Half
German half Japanese, all American. She's a doll. I love working with
her! She's a go getter and just a sweet girl. She likes to laugh at my
jokes and we have a lot in common!

I'm now An "old sister missionary" I am transfer 10. :0 that means I
have 3 transfers left. Ah! I feel like I just got here! It's way too
fast! And around August I go home. :( weird. My comp is 5th
transfer... Oh my gosh I remember when I was that young.. I was with
her trainer. It's so weird how the mission connects.

Friday night: we had a ward activity at this sports place. We played
volleyball. Oh man it felt so good to play. The elders where pretty
good too. Except, Elder Griffitts is a bit too good and he scared the
heck out of the kids. Elder Griffitts is big! He just stood there and
stuck his hands straight up and the young kids would cower in fear. He
served a pretty hard serve and he hit it right at me, I wasn't
expecting to be that hard, but I dug it up pretty good. I didn't
realize the huge red ball shape on my arm until After the play, when
he asked me if I was okay, and apologized to me for hitting it so
hard. I looked down and was a bit surprised. It didn't hurt at all! I
was just way happy to be playing volleyball, I didn't even notice. I
tried to talk to some of the kids but learned that of course the ones
I talked to were Brazilians... Ah! But maybe they will teach me some
Portuguese. I sure hope so! That would be so cool!

We had this big meeting thing this weekend like 3 hours away. We got a
ride with a Brazilian family from the church. We showed up to their
house a couple minutes early so we went in when the elders got there,
we were ready to get going ,but they hatada family (Brazilians)
thought different. We sat down and the mother was cooking something
that smelled great and speaking really fast Portuguese. I don't speak
Portuguese at all. I felt like a first transfer. My comp doesn't speak
either ,but one elder in the group does he's from Brazil.(elder
madruga). So he was speaking to them and next thing I knew there was a
Brazilian meal in front of me and a Brazilian family on all sides. It
was so good. It was like this pasta stuff and something else ,but it
was so good. Also they have a ferret. They said I'm the ferret
whisperer. I think. This is going to be an amazing transfer.

"Courage is not limited to the battlefield �c or bravely catching a
thief in your house. The real tests of courage are much quieter. They
are inner tests, like remaining faithful when no one�fs looking, �c
like standing alone when you�fre misunderstood.�h I would add that
this inner courage also includes doing the right thing even though we
may be afraid, defending our beliefs at the risk of being ridiculed,
and maintaining those beliefs even when threatened with a loss of
friends or of social status. He who stands steadfastly for that which
is right must risk becoming at times disapproved and unpopular."
I found this quote on courage. I liked it, so I'm sharing it. I'm
tired, but and this says what it says. I hope y'all like it!

Chow chow

Hermana Fullmer just kidding that's Spanish.

I forgot what it was in Portuguese. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment