Email address: lauren.fullmer@myldsmail.net

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Feb 8, 2016 -Hello from the city of tall pine tree!

Hello friends and family,

Week two on the island. :) something I like about the island is all the interesting people that I get to meet. I've met my share of people out here, but this week was one of the funniest.

We teach an kids English class here and 3 kids come to that. They are the cutest craziest kids ,but we had a good time teaching them. We aren't allowed to hold kids as missionaries, but when we were sitting down to teach the kids and one of them hopped on my back. It's always the worst because they try and climb into our laps and we just have to push them off. (In a loving way). But the kids were so funny! I don't really know if they even learn that much English from us, but it's always fun.

This week we had English class. 3 college girls came to our class because they had got online and found the place.... What?! No one gets online from the English fliers. We were so excited, though because they are young and want to learn English! We had a pretty fun English class with them, and  One of them plays softball guess who might be playing ball this week... Gosh I hope.  

Last night was an interesting experience. We met probably one of my favorite less actives ever. So this guy, is the funniest person I have ever met. So right now his wife is in Canada finishing up college ,so he doesn't really have much going on. He's American ,but he didn't serve in Japan and his wife isn't Japanese. She's Canadian. He literally one day decided to just come to japan and teach English with his wife. He is the most interesting people I've ever met. So we ping ponged the door, and we heard scuffling and then a "hello?" Who's there?"... "The sister missionaries".. "Oh okay.. I don't need a weapon then" he asked the door and the first thing he said was "I'm sorry do I look like crap?" "So how's missionary-ing" we laughed and asked if he woke up and he said "no I was just kinda laying on my bed looking at the ceiling"...  So this man has a katana ,but he didn't bring it to Japan. (Japanese sword), but we went with him for a walk and he told us how when someone tried to break into his house, and he scared him off with the sword ,but he lied to the landlord and said it was a butcher knife because you weren't allowed to have a sword were he lived. 

Other funny things he said:

When asked how he met his wife: "we worked at the same website..you get to meet people at meetings and sometimes things come up and you drive 20 hours to go to a concert in Canada"

Pulled out candy of his pocket: "dangit I'm like a grandpa pulling candy out of my pocket. I'm 32 I look 45 ,but I'm actually 70"

Asked us if we had eaten at a hotdog stand near his house: "good don't it tastes like garbage anyway, they offended me with the thing they made called a hotdog"

When he had to leave: "so I don't know how to end a conversation, I'm just putting that out there." 

Gosh it was so funny! This guy is the funniest my email didn't do it justice. 

We now call elder Matsuhisua.. Elder pine tree because his first kanji means pine tree. We are working in a place called Takamatsu, which means tall pine tree... I love this place! So much awkwardness and weirdness it's awesome! 

So something we shared with the less active guy was one of my favorite scriptures.

Helaman 5:12
12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

Well if we build upon the rock our savior Jesus Christ, nothing can hurt us. Nothing can ever drag us down. Though sometimes those storms and winds will come our way and I have no doubt that they will, if we are built upon the rock we will not fall. 

Loves,
Fullmer 姉妹




No comments:

Post a Comment