Email address: lauren.fullmer@myldsmail.net

Sunday, May 10, 2015

May 10, 2015 - My missionary life


Hello all! 
This week has been fun. Yesterday I got to talk to my family. It was really great to see them. I felt like the time was too short. I wish I could have talked to them for hours ,but it happens. So after I talked to them, I was really missing my family. It's this thing called homesickness. I don't like this thing. It makes me sad. Sometimes the best thing to do when you are sad is to go to work. That's the best medicine ,so we decided we needed to go find a woman we met a couple weeks of weeks ago at a train station. 
Back story:
We went finding at a train station and we didn't seem to have any success. We were about to go home and I saw this older woman sitting on a bench. I felt like I should just hello to her ,so I did. She jumped up smiling and just started talking with us. She told us she wanted to meet with us again and gave her name,phone number, and address and told us to come and visit her.
^this is not a super normal thing we are lucky if we get a phone number.
Yesterday:
So we knew she lived near us,but we didn't know where. We biked for a couple of hours in circles. We found an apartment complex with her address ,but it was college housing so we weren't really sure if it was her house. We ping ponged and no one answered ,so we left. We decided to walk around the other side of the road and see if we could find her kanji and we did. Apparently there is a neighborhood with the same address as the apartment complex. We ping ponged her door and she was like " oh oh my goodness" she came and got us and invited us in. She said "my son and his family are coming over for Mother's Day." We were thinking oh no we disturbed their Mother's Day. She asked us to join them for dinner ,so we did. Her daughter and her family showed up shortly after dinner started. So here we have these two families their extremely friendly mother and we are just thinking oh my gosh this is amazing. Total I think there was 5 kids between the families. We had dinner and after shared a short message. We invited them to our English class and asked if,we could meet them again. The grandmother pretty much said we can meet her whenever. The grandma gave the best hugs ever. When you hug a Japanese person it's kinda like this awkward thing where they kinda stiffen up and awkwardly wrap their arms around you like a rag doll and pat your back. This woman gave an American grandmotherly hug. It was great she was just so loving and warm. 

Fun fact about Japanese: there handshakes are also awkward. A lot of times, it's the dead fish handshake where they just kinda let their hand hang lifelessly. It's really really funny and weird.. I just love Japanese people and Japan it's a great place :) 

Spiritual thought: 
 This week I have been thinking a lot about working hard and how to "labor diligently". Missions are hard work. They are mentally, spiritually, and physically draining. I haven't been out long at all ,but I've already learned so much. I've been trying my hardest to "forget myself and go to work". I feel the happiest when I'm working my hardiest and trying my best. It's when I put my faith in the Lord that and forget about my own weakness that I can find strength. 

I really liked this 2 scriptures this week: 

Moroni 9:6
And now, my beloved son, notwithstanding their hardness, let us labor diligently; for if we should cease to labor, we should be brought under condemnation; for we have a labor to perform whilst in this tabernacle of clay, that we may conquer the enemy of all righteousness, and rest our souls in the kingdom of God. 

Ether 12:27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. 


I love all of you and hope you have a wonderful week! Oh and I didn't get into any bike accidents this week! 

Love,
Fullmer shimai




No comments:

Post a Comment